Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Online applications and tools - Week 11

Hello! today I learned about online versions of productivity software have many of the same features as the versions installed on our computers but they are quite different. I had a look at Google Docs software which allows users to create and share your work online, you can create, edit and upload your work , you can import your existing documents, spreadsheets and presentations, or you can create new ones, you can access and eit from anywhere, you just need a web browser and your documents are stored securely online, you can share changes in real time, you can invite people to your documents and make changes together at the same time and it is free to use.
I then had a look at Zoho another program where you can work online. I checked out Zamzar which converts file formats fro free- image formats, doc formats, music formats, video formats and other formats. I got acquainted with Slideshare which allows users to share presentations with anyone in the world. I next looked at Thumbstacks another program for making and sharing presentations on the web. I had to do an exercise where I created a document in Google Docs and then I shared it with the administrators of the web 2.0 program at nsw.pln@gmail.com. I am overwhelmed by the number of online free productivity tools available. I think that Google docs can be used to create flyers for library activities, flyers could be approved much more quickly because your supervisor has online access to them, this is much faster than emailing your flyer and then waiting for an update flyer from your supervisor. Another use could be for creating procedures for libraries several librarians could work on a document at the same time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you try http://www.youconvertit.com

this is an online tool to convert any files from type to type plus download and sednig files from youtube......

i love them

pls@slnsw said...

Your blog looks great. It is great the way you are thinking about possibilies for shared online documents.

Ellen (PLS)

Unknown said...

Very nice blog

Wesite Developers India