Monday, May 12, 2008

Social networking - Week 12

Hello! today I got acquainted with social networking sites, a definition of them is - a social network site uses software to build online social networks for communities of people who share interests and activities and or people who are interested in exploring the interests and activities of others. I had a look at Facebook and Myspace. I looked at the examples of libraries who are featured on social networking sites - the British Library on Facebook and the Rotorua Public Library on Bebo. I think libraries can use social networking sites for research, marketing and support and development applications.Other applications can be in keeping up with developments in the library, can advertise library events such as author talks,book group club meetings, school holiday activities, can promote the services that the libray has on offer.I had a look at Second life which is an internet based virtual world where residents interact through avatars.
I am happy that I have finished the program and it is now out of the way. I have learnt many things that I have not heard of before. It was very good that the State Library organised this program. People who work in libraries should keep up with what is out there on the internet so that we are in a position to help our clients.
I enjoyed doing web 2.0 program and will now explore www.webware.com - cool web 2.0 applications for everyone.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Congratulations on completing the program! You are now in the draw for an MP3 player - good luck!

I hope you have enjoyed the experience, and that you will continue to discover and learn.

Victoria

P.S. I am a Skype fan too!

Unknown said...

"Social networking" blog interesting for me to read this.
Would like to read more.



SEO Services